Apple Denies iCloud, Apple ID Breach After Hackers Threaten to Wipe Data

After a hacker or group of hackers threatened to remotely wipe data from millions of iPhones including photos, videos and messages, Apple has denied any such breach into iPhones.

The hackers, who call themselves ‘Turkish Crime Family’, asked for $75,000 (roughly Rs. 50 lakhs) in Bitcoin or Ethereum (a form of crypto-currency) or $100,000 (roughly Rs. 65.5 lakhs) worth of iTunes gift cards in exchange for deleting a large cache of iCloud and other Apple email accounts, Vice blog Motherboard reported.

Apple Denies iCloud, Apple ID Breach After Hackers Threaten to Wipe Data

Reacting to the threat, Apple told Fortune on Wednesday: “There have not been any breaches in any of Apple’s systems including iCloud and Apple ID. The alleged list of email addresses and passwords appears to have been obtained from previously compromised third-party services.”

The hackers claim to have access to nearly 559 million Apple email and iCloud accounts.

The hackers provided screenshots of alleged emails between the group and members of Apple’s security team and threatened to reset iCloud accounts and remotely wipe victim’s Apple devices on April 7 unless Apple pay them.

The Apple spokesperson, however, said that Apple is “actively monitoring to prevent unauthorised access to user accounts and are working with law enforcement to identify the criminals involved.”

According to reports, several email accounts and passwords may belong to an earlier breach at the professional networking site LinkedIn in 2012.

However, Apple customers who secure their iCloud accounts with the same passwords they use with other online accounts must go for new, strong passwords, the report added.

Apple Survey Hints at No Headphone Jack in Future MacBook Pro

Apple Survey Hints at No Headphone Jack in Future MacBook Pro

  • Apple is asking its MacBook Pro users a series of questions
  • Survey asks users if they use the headphone jack on their laptops
  • It hints that Apple may remove the headphone jack in future Macbook Pros

Apple is said to be conducting a survey among current MacBook Pro users, asking a series of questions. The tech giant is particularly wondering if its customers use the headphone jack frequently or not. This survey hints that Apple may be considering removing the 3.5mm headphone jack from future MacBook Pros as well.

Apple asked a series of questions and one of them was, “Do you ever use the headphone port on your MacBook Pro with Retina display?” First spotted by Mac Rumors, this survey has inevitably sparked rumours of Apple getting rid of the 3.5mm headphone jack on its entire product lineup eventually.

The company removed it from the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus to make more room for better battery and make the smartphones waterproof for the first time. However, this year’s Macbook Pro, expected in October, won’t see this change.

With the launch date so near, Apple would’ve already finalised the design, and maybe even begun production of the new and improved Macbook Pro devices. It is expected to get a significant upgradewith a new Oled display panel on top of the keyboard replacing the function keys. The Oled panel is being called ‘Dynamic Function Row’ internally and will also support Touch ID for added security. It is expected to be unveiled in 13-inch and 15-inch variants, and the Oled panel will need macOS Sierra to function properly. macOS Sierra will be available to Mac users from September 20.

Alongside the MacBook Pro, Apple is also expected to unveil the new and improved MacBook Air as well with minimalistic upgrades and USB Type-C connectivity.